Monday, May 19, 2008

Daddy's Girl

A sad time for the world, that’s how I would describe the past few weeks. I say that because two weeks ago my dad passed away. He’d been fighting cancer since early last year when he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. The following months included several weeks of radiation, chemo, major surgery, an infection, an “all clear,” a “there’s more,” additional treatments, and a different cancer treatment center at the beginning of this year with more tests and aggressive treatments.

Dad continued receiving treatments this Spring and really liked the cancer treatment center where he started receiving his medical care this year. Throughout the months dad maintained a positive outlook, but after a physically exhausting year dad’s battle against the disease came to an end. It’s been a rough time for my family however we were all with him. All I can say is losing him is one of the hardest things I’ve been through, but at the same time there’s a sense of calm knowing that he does not have to experience that unbearable pain any longer and can finally rest.

We all had a great weekend together beforehand, and the following week was the expected emotional rollercoaster but filled with wonderful people. I could be wrong, but I truly believe relationships are where rural America is far above and beyond what urban dwellers could imagine. Not only did family and friends call, write and email condolences, but so many traveled so far just to show their support for us and their love for dad. In addition, some of the smallest gestures mean so much…. Family and friends dropped by with loads of food and love but one afternoon when some friends were leaving, mom, my brother and I were so touched when we saw three neighbors (they actually live about 6miles away) in the yard unloading lawn equipment. The three family friends then spent the next hour mowing and weed eating the overgrown yard for mom. So many gestures, and it still brings tears to my eyes to know so many wonderful, caring people. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Dad was a wonderful man and will be greatly missed. He would be so touched to know that so many people cared so much about him and his family.

Tomorrow I’ll get back to the schedule I promised, sharing some of the events from the fair, but also over the next few weeks I may bring up a few dad stories too. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I will enjoy remembering them.

With love,

Janet

No comments: