Monday, June 2, 2008

Back at it

I made my first venture on the golf course this year playing in a scramble tournament with my brother. To be honest, we're not that good, but between the two of us we can come up with something that works on each hole. I started playing a few years ago and have only played three or four times a year since then. Last year at this tournament I won the women’s longest drive off the tee. A had a pretty good run on the drive again this year, but I would have preferred the ball stayed a little more center green.

This was the first game David and I played this year. Because of that, we were both feeling it on Sunday. Golf seems to be a low impact sport, but two days later my right hand is still a little stiff from the game. We were both sore yesterday but after loading up on pain medication and icy hot, we survived and I’m ready to go again.

Sunday was another beautiful day, so not having soaked up enough summer yet, I ventured to the barn and grabbed the saddle. King and I took off on a solo trail ride enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of nature. It’s been a couple months since I had a nice ride so this was long overdue. There's nothing more relaxing than a leisurely stroll through the fields away from the world. Usually we spot a few turkey and deer, but this time, just a couple quail and a worried terrapin.

Now back to the State Fair.

Friday the 10th was day two.

After starting his day at 6 that morning, Mike finally heads to his car around 3 to go home. Once he arrives at the parking lot, he soon realizes that his car is nowhere to be seen.

So what happened? When you work the morning shift, you get there before the parking attendant. On this morning, when the attendant arrived, they assumed his car had been there all night so they had it towed. It takes a couple of hours, but the issue is finally resolved and he’s able to put the day behind him.

That evening I have some friends coming to the fair for a visit. During the afternoon these three decide my trailer is hot and that unrolling the awning will make it cooler. Knowing that I’ll be stuck putting the canopy away, which I don’t know how to do, I discourage the effort but the girls promise to put it away before they leave.

With the determination of a herd of stubborn goats they set about their mission.

I remain inside trying to clean up some after a sweaty day at the fair. After a few moments I stick my head outside and realize one of my friends is missing, and two others have been added to the mix. Turns out she’s on the roof of the trailer because the sunshade wasn’t coming down as easily as expected. While she’s on the roof, our camping neighbors take pity on us and come over to help. In a few moments the thing is down and we have shade.

We thank our helpful neighbors then turn to go back in the trailer and quickly discover the door is locked. Luckily I have my cell phone. I call the RV dealerships we work with and they quickly come to our rescue. Within 15 minutes, our hero arrives on a golf cart to save the day.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Still here, laughing at each post. I feel your pain for golf. Mr. B and I are planning to play this weekend and I know I will be hurting the next day. Keep the posts coming!!!1

Janet said...

Glad to know. I'll try and be a little more thorough at posting too. good goal to have don't you think?