Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm OK With It...

Over the years we learn to accept things about ourselves. For me there are a couple things that come to mind... for example, my hair. I've tried to straighten it and it doesn't work so well. I've tried perms and those were never good for anyone involved. What I know is this, I do have a lot of hair (thanks dad), I also have a lot of waves, not curls, just waves which are really just cowlicks gone wild (again, thanks dad!). So the answer to the problem, I try to work with my hair, not against it. It wants to part to the left on Thursdays and Tuesdays, and down the middle on Friday, that's ok, I can work with it!
Secondly, many times, I can be a lot more emotional than I'd prefer. When my feelings get hurt, I get very frustrated, or something sad happens.. I've been known to shed a tear or twenty. Something funny happens, you'll know it 5 counties away. For the sad stuff it can be kind of easy, just avoid them. You can tell when a movie is a tearjerker, so why pay money to see something that's going to make you feed like crap two hours later. As for the funny stuff I've learned to work with it too. Some people are known for their great hair, legs, clothes.... blah blah blah. Turns out none of that works well for radio anyway!! But a laugh, apparently people get a kick out of it on occasion. Silly and loud, yes, but I'm ok with it.
What brings me to this blog is that I'm also not so good with pain. If someone else cuts a finger or breaks a leg, I can at least be useful. This week, Debbie, our office manager had two wisdom teeth pulled then came to work. Crazy woman! If that was me, not only would I not be at work, but neither would she because she may need to take care of me. I I know this because of previous experience. While working in Little Rock, I learned I had two wisdom teeth coming in. The doctor set the appointment to pull one of them for the following week which gave me 7 days to anticipate the tooth extraction fun. On appointment day I'm sitting in the chair. As the assistant gives me the shots I decide it's a good idea to let her know these things (surgeries) don't always go well for me.
"Hon, I'm glad you said so, how are you doing now?"
With a shallow breath I answer.. "Not so well"
The next thing I know, I'm in a horizontal position with an oxygen mask on my face. First thought "they knocked me out and pulled it already, hot dog!" I soon realized the tooth was, sadly, still intact.
In an effort to return color to my face the dentist says "just keep breathing, and relax. We can take it out next week just as easy as we could this week so don't worry."
Don't worry? Don't worry?! Hah you crazy man. If you think I'm coming back here willingly you really are crazy.
I have extra wisdom in my head, and yes, I'm ok with it.

No comments: