Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A New Mode of Transportation….

I found a car. Yes, a car instead of another Jeep. I'll be back in the Jeep world sometime in the future, but for the time being I'll drive a little red Jetta and keep some gas money in my own pocket. The Jetta has a few extra rattles and years, but so far so good. Let's hope she keeps on ticking. To make that happen I'm afraid I will have to adjust my driving a little. You see, I believe you drive a car the way it wants to be driven and I believe most cars want to be 4-wheel drive. In college it was the Topaz, a white bolt of gas efficient lightening who met a few curbs, hills and gullies in its day (one curb my friends seem to remember all to well). There was also the Thunderbird. Turns out the ol' bird could seat more than five, but couldn't fly over railroad tracks...General Lee, she was not. So you see, my move to taller vehicles was sensible, and a leading reason was to get further away from the ground. Hopefully the little red Jetta is up to the challenge, though maybe the challenge won't be as extreme.
In other transportation excitement, sunny weather and a Sunday created the perfect day for horseback riding this weekend. Luckily some friends around here have a few equine on hand and allowed me to borrow a steed and tag along.
During life in Texas County, I spent many a day on horseback. Sometimes I'd even come in for lunch then change horses for the afternoon. That was pre-college of course. In college the apartment people frowned at the idea of a horse in the courtyard.
This weekend, we met in Waverly Sunday morning and hauled the herd to an area around Marshall. We had a great ride and enjoyed the Missouri scenery. By the end of the day, we'd been riding for around 6 hours. I'm ready to go again, but don't let me forget the Aspirin and Icy Hot!

2 comments:

Farmerspice said...

ah...a jetta...enjoy that. i've always liked those cars! i'm sad i'm missing national ffa.

Amy said...

Just remember that people can cut their heads open on a sun roof when you try and drive a CAR like it is a 4-wheel drive vehicle. I sure remember that! :-)