Monday, December 22, 2008

Holidays, Where Memories are Made…

What an eventful weekend Thanksgiving turned into. I had to work Friday so the family made the trip to Carrollton for the big day. I found it funny that within five minutes of each other both my mom and brother called to see if I had coffee. Not being a coffee drinker I don't keep the stuff on hand, but apparently it's visit or no visit to them.
Another call from David a few days before Thanksgiving. He wanted to make sure I had taken the turkey out of the freezer to thaw…… ha ha funny joke big brother. But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it was a serious question on his part.
He knows I don't cook, at least not very often. What he fails to acknowledge is not that I can't cook, but the fact I choose not to. For one reason, this time of year when you get home it's already dark and I don't want to mess with it. The biggest reason is that the dishwasher and garbage disposal quit last year around the same time the washing machine went kaput. I don't like doing dishes so willingly making a stack of dirty dishes is just crazy talk.
So why have the family over for a big holiday feast when dishes will be everywhere? That's an easy answer, mom. She loves it. Why else would she have cleaned up after us all those year? She must enjoy it, she's a mom and besides that she does a spectacular job!
Well, that's not really true but I know she would expect me to say it so why let her down. The fact is I had an electrician out for an outlet problem recently. While he was there I asked him about the dishwasher.
Now I consider myself kind of handy. I can usually fix things, or at least rig'em up to work for the time being. In this instance however, maybe I'm not so handy. Apparently there's a trip switch located near the dishwasher that I missed, completely! I didn't even notice the button was there… above the counter… at eye level. All the electrician did was push the reset button… then holy cow, I have a dishwasher!!! Agghhh, It's been a year without one and that's all I had to do!!!!
Despite feeling like a fool, turns out having a dishwasher (that operates) is a bonus for Thanksgiving. Turkey, spiral honey ham, roasted vegetables, potato casserole, rolls and mom's pecan pie with chocolate chips… mmmmm…delicious, now toss the dishes in the washer.. and take a turkey induced nap, yeah!!!

1 comment:

Farmerspice said...

OMG. TBT gave me a portable dishwasher this year from her brother's new home. OMG....it didn't work for me quite right but I made it ok working. However, not that it's fixed. Eureka!! My days are so much better!!!