Friday, July 11, 2008

Oh, Sweet Paree'

France, what a beautiful region. It's been an amazing week experiencing the French countryside, agriculture industry, interesting people and gaining knowledge of a region I know little about. As I type this I'm sitting in the airport in Marseille, France along the Mediterranean coast. Time has been tight the last couple days so I still have photos to post of Paris!!! We had a very short time in the city of romance and fashion, but it was a neat place to swing through. This is just one of the many amazing Cathedrals that are located throughout France.













In the media we hear quite often that the European countries are environmentally friendly and the rumor appears to carry some weight. There are a lot of roofs that have trees and plants growing on them… not in pots but as a roof. The front of building had just about every plant you could imagine covering the wall all the way to the top. Not only environmentally friendly, but it gave the building an unusual texture and color with flowers and shades of greene.

















Just down the street was the giant piece of architecture we were looking for. The Eiffel Tower proved to be even more massive than I ever imagined.


















I would guess at least four large town squares could fit in the base of the tower. We chose the less ambitious route for getting to the top. They have a large tram like thing that about 40 people could fit in. You have the choice to go to the first deck or the top deck. I went to the top deck to soak in the sunset...










You know Paris is a big city, but when you are that high above the sky and can't see the city limits, you know they're lot of people. To prove it, here's a look to the east...













And when we finally came down, it was getting dark...






As I have previously mentioned, the blue lights on the tower are reported to be in honor of France taking over the Presidential position in the European Union.
I love to take pictures and when I travel I also like to catch a shot of the hotel rooms I stay in. I failed to do that the last couple of times, but I did take this picture outside the window of our magnificent room in Paris…














And looking the other direction...








That's Carroll County farmer Aubrey Famuliner who was in the room next door. We didn't lean out the window too far. It's the fourth floor!
The following morning we packed up again and left town on a Bullet Train to southern France. Everywhere you look, what a view!! I'm a little behind on the pictures, but we've relocated to another country where I should have regular internet access. I can't wait to share pictures of some of the meals we've had. Yes, David I know you'll appreciate that!!

By the way, thanks so much for your comments. I apologize for not sending notes back but please know I love to hear your thoughts!!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! These are some great pictures I can't wait until Glen gets home and I get to see all of his!!! I have really enjoyed reading your posts! Keep them coming!!