Saturday, July 12, 2008

I'll be back...

Since it's a weekend I'm trying to play catch up. We've jetted off to another location but there's still more to share from France before I reveal too much about today.
On Wednesday morning we hopped aboard the 125mph Bullet train to head south. Train travel is very common throughout Europe and with the view and the comfortable roomy ride I can understand why. Our trip to Marseille, along the southern coast of France, was another brief visit. When we arrived I had 10 minutes to send in a report and change clothes so that explains why there were no pictures. Right away we enjoyed an hour long guided tour around the city. OOhhhhh and what a city it is! Before I get started on pictures, I'm using two different cameras and I seem to keep forgetting which camera I used on which shot. The problem with that, one is digital and the other is 35mm. There are more images that I'd like to share, but I guess not until they are developed.
Just along the coast the group bailed out of the bus to enjoy the breath taking view.
What appears to be the city's highest point is home to another beautiful church. We climbed the zillion steps to enjoy the view and hear the history of the landmark from our tour guide.













The church has been through extensive renovation in recent years. After several million dollars, it's beauty is comparable to the scenery that surrounds it. Inside the church you'll find detail in every inch with gold plated features and mosaic tile everywhere. By the way, every piece of mosaic tile used on the floor, walls and ceiling was no more than a half inch each. It's so finely detailed it didn't even look like mosaic.

















And we all soaked in as much of the view as possible. Here's Janine Darby, a grain and hay producer from Madison, Missouri.









I would say, "Mom, send me money, I'm not leaving," but they've already hauled me to another location and it's a long walk back. Following our tour of the city we visited the Marseille Chamber of Commerce, the first Chamber created in the world. It's very active organization that strives to increase the awareness and success of this gorgeous region. The chamber is located in a large beautiful building overlooking one of the main city streets and it's just a block from the marina. In 2013 they will host the cultural center of Europe, so they have a great location to welcome guests.












This is one of the beautiful rooms on the top floor where we enjoyed cocktails and hors d'oeuvres (some were delicious, others had anchovies…. Need I say more?).
The gentleman on the right is Charles Goemaere with the Chamber. I don't have her name, but the young lady is an International Attaché for the US Embassy and standing to her right is William Peterson, an International Lawyer and President of the Mediterranean Business Network. Taking in the conversation is ALOT member Rebecca Townsend who works for Dow Jones Newswires.

No comments: